Barry's Beetchin Movies

Sunday, January 13, 2008

Golden Globes: Winners!

The actual winners, my prediction, and then some thoughts.

Best Picture - Drama: Atonement

My Prediction: No Country for Old Men

That came out of left field. After being shunned by almost everything, Atonement pulls off a win. I still think it has a VERY good chance of being nominated for Best Picture.

Best Picture - Musical/Comedy: Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street

My Prediction: Juno

Everyone's favourite movie Juno ultimately didn't win anything. Blah. However, I still do think it and Sweeney Todd will be nominated for Best Picture.

Best Actor - Drama: Daniel Day-Lewis - There Will Be Blood

My Prediction: Daniel Day-Lewis - There Will Be Blood

Exactly as I, and everyone else, predicted. He deserves the Oscar more than anyone else. I can't get this performance out of my head. Every time I see a clip from or the trailer for the movie, I always have this rush of amazing-ness come into my head. He immersed himself into this character so much and the end result was extraordinary. This is acting on an Ellen Burstyn- Requiem for a Dream scale.

Best Actress - Drama: Julie Christie - Away from Her

My Prediction: Julie Christie - Away from Her

Got this one right too. A lovely and heartbreaking performance. She definitely deserves the Oscar. I don't think she has any worries come Oscar time.

Best Actor - Musical/Comedy: Johnny Depp - Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street

My Prediction: Johnny Depp - Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street

Finally! Johnny Depp wins a Golden Globe after eight freakin' consecutive nominations. Hopefully this translates to an Oscar nomination.

Best Actress - Musical/Comedy: Marion Cotillard - La Vie en Rose

My Prediction: Ellen Page - Juno

I thought that the continuing popularity with Juno, critics and viewers included, would translate into a win for Ellen Page. Oh well. I am one of the one's that think Marion Cotillard gave an excellent performance. Not merely mimicry. She brings something else to the performance entirely.

Best Supporting Actor: Javier Bardem - No Country for Old Men

My Prediction: Javier Bardem - No Country for Old Men

This is the one that is surefire for winning the Oscar. No question about it. Javier Bardem will soon have an Oscar, and it seems like he deserves it. One of the most chilling villains in movie history? I think so.

Best Supporting Actress: Cate Blanchett - I'm Not There

My Prediction: Cate Blanchett - I'm Not There

Sure Amy Ryan has grabbed most of the critics awards; Cate Blanchett has also grabbed some of them as well. Everyone else thought Amy Ryan would win, but I was one of the select few that thought the Globes would give Cate Blanchett another one nine years after her previous one. I was right =) It's definitely down to her and Amy Ryan competing for the Oscar. I have to re-watch Gone Baby Gone and watch I'm Not There to see which performance I side with.

Best Director: Julian Schnabel - The Diving Bell and the Butterfly

My Prediction: Ethan & Joel Coen - No Country for Old Men

I don't think this damages The Coen Bros. Oscar chances at all. They will win the DGA and then that will lead to an Oscar win. The Globes loooove Foreign films.

Best Screenplay: Ethan & Joel Coen - No Country for Old Men

My Prediction: Diablo Cody - Juno

No worries here either. I thought since Juno has picked up the most screenplay awards so far, it would win here. I expect each of these movies to win their respected categories.

Best Original Song: Into the Wild - "Guaranteed"

My Prediction: Grace is Gone - "Grace is Gone"

I only chose Grace is Gone because I liked the song, but Guaranteed is a good song as well.

Best Original Score: Dario Marianelli - Atonement

My Prediction: Dario Marianelli - Atonement

Marianelli's score for Pride & Prejudice was amazing and definitely deserved the Oscar nod it received. I am hoping for this score to follow suit.

Best Foreign Language Film: The Diving Bell and the Butterfly

My Prediction: 4 Months, 3 Weeks & 2 Days

Should've seen this coming. With all of the other noms Diving Bell got, I should have forseen that the Globes would pick this to win Foreign Language Film.

Best Animated Feature: Ratatouille

My Prediction: Ratatouille

This is off to win the Oscar.

Best TV Series - Drama: Mad Men

My Prediction: Grey's Anatomy

Best Actress TV Series - Drama: Glenn Close - Damages

My Prediction: Sally Field - Brothers & Sisters

Best Actor TV Series - Drama: Jon Hamm - Mad Men

My Prediction: Hugh Laurie - House

Best TV Series - Musical/Comedy: Extras

My Prediction: 30 Rock

Best Actress TV Series - Musical/Comedy: Tina Fey - 30 Rock

My Prediction: Tina Fey - 30 Rock

Best Actor TV Series - Musical/Comedy: David Duchovny - Californication

My Prediction: Alec Baldwin - 30 Rock

Best TV Mini-Series or Picture: Longford

My Prediction: Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee

Best Actress TV Mini-Series or Picture: Queen Latifah - Life Support

My Prediction: Debra Messing - The Starter Wife

Best Actor TV Mini-Series or Picture: Jim Broadbent - Longford

My Prediction: Jim Broadbent - Longford

Best Supporting Actress TV Series, Mini-Series or Picture: Samantha Morton - Longford

My Prediction: Katherine Heigl - Grey's Anatomy

Best Supporting Actor TV Series, Mini-Series or Picture: Jeremy Piven - Entourage

My Prediction: Ted Danson - Damages

My final score was 9/25= 36% which is HORRIBLE! It's all good though because that score is actually very entertaining. My predictions for the SAG awards and Oscar nominations will be up soon. And I plan to add two more entries for my Worst Movies of All Time list.

3 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home